A Glorious Pasta Party!

Post image for A Glorious Pasta Party!

There is, as far as I’m concerned, only one way to celebrate a new book about pasta, and that is to throw an outrageously delicious, no-holds-barred Glorious Pasta Party!

As some of you already know, today is the official publication date for my latest cookbook, The Glorious Pasta of Italy. To help give my baby a proper welcome, I’ve invited some friends over to cook just for you. Joining me is a pretty extraordinary group of food writers, bloggers, and cooks, who generously offered to make something from the book and post about it on their blogs.

When it comes to entertaining, I like to do things casually, all’improviso (as they say in Italy), so I told my friends to bring whatever they liked. All I can say is—Wow! You are in for a treat. Welcome to the party! A few friends have arrived already, but more are on the way so please be sure to check back to see what they made.

Giulia and I may be separated by 4,000 miles and an ocean, but our hearts are in the same place–Italy. Giulia lives in Tuscany, where she writes her bilingual blog, Juls’ Kitchen. I love her sunny musings, and her photographs are stunning. I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have una vera Italiana (an Italian Italian) here for the pasta party. Here is Giulia’s post on Mafalde with Roasted Tomatoes, Robiola, and Crushed Fennel Seeds.

Monica and I met at the Greenbrier symposium back in 2004 when we were both new to the world of food writing. Monica is, among other things, an award-winning food writer and cookbook author, a food writing instructor, and creator of the iSpice iPhone app. Here is her lovely rendition of Linguine with Slow-Cooked Zucchini, Basil, and Cream.

My friend Cheryl and I also met at the Greenbrier. She has one of the most distinctive and compelling voices in the world of food writing. She shares her sharp, funny, and insightful observations on food and life at her blog, 5 Second Rule. Her eye is just as sharp as her writing, by the way. She’s a wonderful photographer. Cheryl brought a beautiful bowl of BLT Bucatini.

I hesitated before asking Shauna—Gluten-free Girl herself—to join the pasta party. After all, I thought, why would she want to cook from a book filled with high-gluten content? And yet, I wanted her to be here, and I hated the thought of leaving out a growing demographic of people who are gluten-intolerant. Here’s what Shauna said when I asked if she would consider participating: “Of course I’ll do it.” But that’s Shauna—as delightful and forthright in person as she is on her blog and in her cookbooks. Shauna’s easy solution: She made Linguine Fini with Shrimp and Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes using her favorite brand of gluten-free pasta.

Not only do Susan (aka Food Blogga) and I share an Italian heritage; we also have roots in Rhode Island. Susan grew up there, as did my dad. She and I happened to sit in on the same IACP session in Portland last year and struck up a conversation, and a friendship. Susan is the author of Recipes Every Man Should Know and The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches. And, apparently, we share one more delicious thing in common—anchovies! I’m so glad Susan brought Penne Rigate with Sweet Peppers and Anchovies.

Paula is the talent behind the breathtaking blog, Bell’Alimento. She is devoted to Italian home cooking and, in fact, her delicious, authentic recipes remind me a lot of…mine! Except her photos are much, much more beautiful. Like Giulia, Paula and I have yet to meet in real life. But the good news is that she’s on the same coast so I foresee a get-together, some clinking of wine glasses, and some pasta-making—hopefully soon. Here’s Paula’s gorgeous take on BLT Bucatini.

Cathy is known to hundreds of bloggers and Twitter followers as Mrs. Wheelbarrow and is one of the co-founders of the Charcutepalooza charcuterie-making project. But Cathy is also a master pasta maker. I’m thrilled that she took on the handmade Orecchiette with Creamy Broccoli Sauce. Brava!

I am happy to say that I can now count Jennie among my friends in real life. Our friendship began on Twitter (surprise) and was cemented when we met a couple of weeks ago at Eat Write Retreat. She writes from the heart on her blog, In Jennie’s Kitchen. We are both Italian-American and share a love for farmers’ markets, cooking for our families, and, I’m delighted to say, Spaghetti alla Carbonara.

I met Nicole on Twitter and knew we were kindred spirits when I read on her blog, Pinch My Salt, that she had spent four years living in Sicily. Like me, she loves to cook from scratch with fresh, seasonal ingredients. I love that Nicole, who has recently made some drastic changes in the way she eats, cleverly repurposed my Tomato-Cream Sauce as an accompaniment to grilled chicken. I love resourcefulness in the kitchen!

Virginia and I share a love for comfort food, or – as she calls it—therapy food. Hers most often takes the form of Southern or French cusinie—and, in her book Bon Appetit Y’All, a delicious fusion of the two (look for her newest book, Basic to Brilliant, Y’All this fall). She is also the creator of My Southern Pantry. But Virginia also happens to love pasta. She offers a lovely review of The Glorious Pasta of Italy, with a special bonus recipe for Virginia’s Penne with Oven Roasted Tomatoes.

Of course, I could never ask my friends to cook for you without making something myself. My story about, and recipe for, Maccheroni alla Molinara, one of Abruzzo’s most extraordinary, long, loopy (literally) noodles is featured in today’s Washington Post Food Section. I also talked about the book on TBD Channel 8′s Let’s Talk Live. And here’s a really nice writeup of the book in Express Night Out.

Everyone is invited to the party, and I would love to hear from you if you cook from the book. Here’s a recent post from Laura at The Spiced Life, whom I met at the Eat Write Retreat food bloggers’ conference here in DC a couple of weeks ago. She won a copy of the book and made her own spin on Fettuccine in Bianco with White Asparagus, Asiago, and Cream.

JUNE 6, 2011 PASTA PARTY UPDATE:

The lovely Shulie, who blogs at Food Wanderings, just made the Fluffy Semolina Dumplings, a light broth with pillows of semolina floating on the surface.

If you post about the book, please join the party and let me know about it or post your link in a comment.

Finally, for those of you who are local to DC, Maryland, and Virginia, please keep in mind the forthcoming book related events:

Saturday, June 4, 1 – 3 p.m., I’ll be offering samples and signing books at La Cuisine, in Old Town Alexandria. La Cuisine has been supportive of my work since my first book, The Glorious Soups and Stews of Italy was published in 2006. The shop has been around for more than 40 years and is a true gem for cooks. Address: 323 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA. (703) 836-4435.

Tuesday, June 7, 6: 30 p.m. I will be co-hosting a Glorious Pasta Dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Bibiana Osteria-Enoteca, in D.C. Executive Chef Nick Stefanelli, who contributed a wonderful recipe to my book, will be preparing a multi-course menu from the book, with wine pairings and a special pasta dessert, and I will give a (short!) presentation about the book and recipes. Price is $90 (excluding tax and tip) and includes appetizers and a four-course sit-down dinner, with wine pairings and a signed copy of The Glorious Pasta of Italy. This is a limited-seating event, so please call to reserve a spot. Address: 1100 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. (202) 216-9550.

Saturday, June 11, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., I’ll be offering samples and signing books at Broad Branch Market, in D.C. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Broad Branch is a fabulous neighborhood market in Northwest DC that has everything from fresh bread to house-made seafood sausage—and much more. Address: 5608 Broad Branch Road, NW, Washington, D.C. (202) 249-8551.

Stay tuned for more events, which I’ll post on my News and Events page as they are scheduled. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy the party. Thanks for coming and Buon Appetito!

46 Responses to A Glorious Pasta Party!

1. Nina June 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Domenica! Congratulations and Bravo!! How exciting….just ordered two copies on Amazon..can’t wait to receive! The other posts above are really fantastic. I hope you come to Texas…would love to have you give cooking class/signing at Central Market! Cheers!

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Nina, thank you for your good wishes—and for the reminder about Central Market. I just taught a cooking class at A Southern Season in Chapel Hill, NC, and it was a big hit so perhaps a trip to Texas for pasta-making is in order. Cheers!

2. Juls @ Juls' Kitchen June 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

I’m excited and honoured to be in such company! Congratulations again Domenica! A well deserved success!

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Giulia, the honor is mine. Thank you from the heart for being part of the pasta party. Your post is beautiful! And I can’t wait for when your book comes out. We’ll have another party!

3. Olga @ MangoTomato June 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

can’t wait to get my copy of the book at Bibiana and try out the recipes!

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Thank you! Bibiana is going to be fun and delicious. So glad you are coming, Olga!

4. Chef Danielle {CookingClarified} June 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

What a wonderful idea! Can’t wait to try these myself!! Congrats!

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you Danielle!

5. janie June 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Congratulations on your book! I look forward to reading it and getting in the kitchen to cook through it.

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Thank you, Janie! I really enjoyed your lovely posts from Italy. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

6. merry jennifer June 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

I was just speaking to Paula last night about your book – she was raving about it. Now I can not WAIT to get my hands on a copy. Congratulations to you on such a delicious accomplishment.

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Thank you so much for your good wishes! Paula’s post is wonderful, isn’t it!

7. Ethan June 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Congrats on the official launch! Now I wish the Eat Write Retreat conference had coincided with the book launching. As I said before, that cover looks like one giant hug of pasta and judging from these posts, the inside is just as friendly:)

8. Paula - bell'alimento June 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Auguri Cara! I was honored to be a part of the pasta party! It’s truly a stunning book & I think everyone should run & get a copy ; ) xoxo

• Domenica June 3, 2011 at 2:00 am #

Paula, somehow your comment ended up in my spam box and I just saw it. Thank YOU so very much. I loved your post. Grazie di cuore. Sei meravigliosa!

9. Chris June 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

I just ordered the book and I’m super excited! My wife and I are off to Abruzzo for 7.5 weeks this summer, so I’ll really enjoy coming home to this book so I can carry on the tradition at home. One question though–do you have any recommended sources for Parmigiano-Reggiano and/or Pecorino-Romano? I live in Frederick, MD but I’m willing to travel almost anywhere in the VA, MD, DC area to pick up a huge supply.
    Thanks!
    Chris

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

Chris, thank you for your comment. I can’t even begin to tell you how envious I am of your trip. I’d love to know where you’ll be in Abruzzo! As for local PR sources, I’ve had good luck at The Italian Store, in Arlington. They have good quality parmigiano. I’ve also gotten good PR at Balducci, in Old Town. I wish I knew about places up your way but I’m afraid I don’t. Buon viaggio e buon divertimento in Abruzzo!

• Chris June 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

We’re going to Citta Sant’Angelo, near Pescara. My wife is from there and we’re taking our 10 month old to meet the extended family. It should be quite a trip!
        Thanks and congratulations on your beautiful book!
        Chris

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

You’ll have a wonderful time. I spent many summers in nearby Silvi Marina. The area has grown exponentially since I was a kid all those years ago, but it’s still one of my favorite places, especially when you get up into the hills beyond the sea.

10. Barbara | Creative Culinary June 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Big congrats…what an exciting time and what a great looking book Domenica. I’ve ordered it online and can’t wait to make a dish.

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Thank you, Barb. I can’t wait to hear what you cook from it. : )

11. Tori RItchie June 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

This is such a great idea for a book launch party. Tuesday Recipe will get a copy of the book and join the fun soon. Brava!

• Domenica June 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

Tori-I’d love for you to join in. Keep me posted, cara amica…

12. Wendy June 2, 2011 at 1:47 am #

sometimes I tab cookbooks with post-it notes to highlight the recipes I’d like to try. I had to stop with your book. I could happily eat from this book nightly! I have already tried the creamy broccoli sauce which was a huge success in a way that broccoli rabe on its own never is in my house. I’m looking forward to cooking through the book with my pasta loving daughter!

• Domenica June 2, 2011 at 1:53 am #

Thank you, Wendy! I’m so glad you are enjoying the book. Please let me know if you post something about it. I’d love to link to it. Cheers!

13. Mark Scarbrough June 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Many, many congratulations. Mine’s now on order from amazon. I can’t wait to read it!

• Domenica June 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Thank you, Mark!

14. Karen June 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Pasta, my soul food! I’ll need to find a copy of your book today – it looks deliciously gorgeous.

• Domenica June 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

Thanks for your kind comment.

15. Diane Morgan June 2, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

Brilliant idea! Can’t wait to cook from the book when I get back from France. Huge congratulations.

• Domenica June 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Thank you, Diane. Have a wonderful time in France and can’t wait to catch up with you when you get back.

16. Greg S June 4, 2011 at 12:43 am #

I can’t wait for this book, I’m about to order, just one question if anyone can help me out! Does this book feature pictures for every recipe?

• Domenica June 4, 2011 at 1:11 am #

Thank you! To answer your question: There are a lot of pictures in the book, though not ever recipe has one (that would make the book much more expensive). I do hope you will try it anyway. I make every effort to write recipes that are clear, easy to follow, and accessible. Cheers and please report back on what you make. : )

17. Greg S June 8, 2011 at 3:03 am #

Well I just got my copy today and it is absolutely wonderful! I will be eating pasta for a month!

• Domenica June 8, 2011 at 11:24 am #

So glad you like it, Greg. Please report back on what you make from the book! Cheers & buon appetito : )

18. Gian Banchero June 10, 2011 at 2:37 am #

Ciao Domenica;
    Three of your cookbooks arrived, they are FANTASTIC!!! What I really enjoy about the recipes are the introductions to each one, as I told friends the cookbooks present not only good recipes but are a good read… Thank you for all the work you put into your books, it’s well appreciated.

• Domenica June 10, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Gian, thank you! I love what I do, but reading comments like yours makes me love it even more. I’m so glad you are enjoying the books.

19. Jamie June 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

A HUGE congratulations and what a stunning book cover! I am so anxious to see inside and I’ll be perusing the recipes and gawking at the photos of pasta dishes! We lived in Italy for 7 years and we miss the food so much – and now you have put me back in the mood to cook Italian and pasta much more often! Cheers!

• Domenica June 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

There is nothing that can take the place of a nice dish of pasta, in my opinion–especially when it’s enjoyed in Italy. Thanks for your sweet comment.

20. Hugh Morton June 25, 2011 at 2:57 am #

I just finished dinner of the zucchini in basil cream sauce with linguine. It was most excellent. Thanks for hosting this pasta party.

Hugh in Dallas.

• Domenica June 25, 2011 at 11:14 am #

That one is a favorite in our house, Hugh. So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your comment.

21. Alicia Sokol June 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I just enjoyed a delicious bowl of the shells with summer squash and ricotta – divine! This is a mac and cheese I can get behind all the way. I just made my first batch of homemade ricotta ever, so this was a wonderful use for it. Thanks, Domenica!

22. ciaochowlinda July 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

Congratulations on your new book. My friend Faith B. told me about your blog and book today and I’m so glad I found you. I am going to have a great time perusing all the back posts. I can tell you are a cuoca after my own heart. brava.

• Domenica July 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Linda, I’m so glad you found the blog. Benvenuta! I hope you enjoy reading through the post–and trying the recipes. Cheers, and thank you for your kind comment.

1. BLT Bucatini | bell' alimento - June 1, 2011

[...] sure to stop by Domenica’s BLOG for her Virtual Pasta Party Round-Up for more inspiring [...]

2. Radiatori with Tomato-Cream Sauce and Fresh Basil — Pinch My Salt - June 1, 2011

[...] today and several other fantastic bloggers have joined in and tried a recipe from the book.  Visit Domenica Cooks to see what the others have [...]