The Family Dish: Fabio Trabocchi’s Flatbread

Post image for The Family Dish: Fabio Trabocchi’s Flatbread

There are probably as many takes on flatbread as there are cuisines in the world. I can think of at least a dozen in Italy alone, from that most famous of famous renditions, pizza, which originated in Naples, to the crisp, paper-thin cracker bread known as carta da musica (“music paper”) from Sardinia.

In Le Marche, the region just north of Abruzzo, where my family is from, there is the piadina, a savory flatbread filled with all sorts of goodies such as tomatoes, greens, peppers and sausages. Chef Fabio Trabocchi, a native of Le Marche, serves a delicious, summery piadina, filled with prosciutto, mozzarella, and arugula, at his D.C. restaurant, Fiola.

This week’s Family Dish is all about flatbread. Click here for the full post and for Chef Trabocchi’s recipe on The Washington Post’s All We Can Eat blog.

P.S. Got a Family Dish of your own that you’d like to share? Let me know in a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Buon Appetito!

6 Responses to The Family Dish: Fabio Trabocchi’s Flatbread

1. janie July 13, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I love piadina! There’s a wonderful shop in Arezzo specializing in these and after discovering them I had to come home and make them myself.

2. Tracy July 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

I just read The Glorious Pasta of Summer on NPR’s site. Would you believe me if I told you we eat pasta almost every night in our house? It’s true. Summer is the best time for pasta, though—actually anytime is…Last night was spaghetti with diced Roma’s from the garden, garlic, shallot, parsley, a bit of kick from a hot pepper—and a little cream to mellow it out and extra virgin olive oil. Oh, and if only people knew the lovely powers of pasta water.

I love your ideas and know that they will serve to inspire as the season progresses.

• Domenica July 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

What a lovely comment. I agree–pasta is wonderful no matter what time of year. But summer is special. All of those glorious vegetables belong with pasta! Your dinner last night sounds delicious. Love the addition of a little cream–such a nice touch. Cheers and thanks!

3. Jamie July 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

I absolutely love piadina and strangely enough I made something very similar quite by accident. Now I must dash off and check out the recipe for this and try it. Heaven!

4. Christine Fabrizio October 10, 2011 at 9:38 am #

I finally made it downtown to have the piadina I had been longing for! I studied in a small town in Le Marche, Cagli, and we used to get piadina on the way to the beach. Thank you for sharing on your blog… I emailed all my Cagliese friends and included a picture of the piadina I was enjoying in D.C.!

Thank you!

Christine

• Domenica October 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Thank you for your comment, Christine. So glad I was able to help in your quest to find a piadina this side of the Atlantic. Buon appetito!