The Family Dish: Bulgur-Lentil Soup with Minted Olive Butter

Post image for The Family Dish: Bulgur-Lentil Soup with Minted Olive Butter

Some in our family (my daughter and I) like soup more than others (my husband and son). Does this mean that I refrain from making soup for dinner?

No way. It just means that I look for soup recipes that are likely to appeal to all, or at least most of us. In general, vegetable purees are met with something less than enthusiasm; thick and chunky is much preferred, though meat doesn’t necessarily have to be part of the mix. When I find one that makes us all happy I hang on to it…

This week’s Family Dish features a warming, fragrant lentil soup from the new cookbook, Ancient Grains for Modern Meals, by Maria Speck. This soup, an earthy mix of red lentils and cracked bulgur wheat, is perfect for September’s cool evenings. To read the entire post, and to get the recipe, head to The Washington Post’s All We Can Eat blog. Buon Appetito!

, , , , ,

8 Responses to The Family Dish: Bulgur-Lentil Soup with Minted Olive Butter

1. Elizabeth of AsianinAmericamag September 20, 2011 at 10:32 am #

This is such a hearty meal !Love soups at this time of year. I must make this for my family soon! Going over to the recipe now and printing it! Thanks for sharing this terrific idea!

2. Domenica September 20, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Elizabeth, you will love this soup. It has great flavor–be sure to make the minted olive oil butter to stir into the finished soup. It’s fabulous. Maria’s book is filled with wonderful recipes. Cheers and thanks for your comment.

3. Barbara | Creative Culinary September 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Might be perfect timing for me Domenica. I bought some red lentils at the market the other day just because I thought them pretty. Now to find a use for them and here you are…thanks. Looks perfect for my dinner; I like almost any kind of soup.

• Domenica September 20, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Thank you Barb. My daughter brought leftovers for lunch today. She and I both adore this soup. Enjoy!

4. Jamie September 27, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Funny you should write this. My family is not too keen on soup sometimes even refusing to eat it although I love it! And I made red lentil soup just 2 nights ago. But slightly different than yours. I’ll bookmarked your recipe for when it gets colder and they can’t refuse a hearty, delicious bowl of soup.

5. Domenica September 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

I’d love to know how you made your soup, Jamie. I am a soup fiend. I love almost any kind. Cheers & thanks for your comment.

6. Bibi @ Veggie Runners August 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Yum! This looks fantastic. I’m going to make a slightly thicker version for dinner tonight to have with yesterday’s polenta, sliced and fried off.

• Domenica Marchetti August 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Thanks for stopping by, Bibi. Yes, I love this soup and, in fact, this is a great time of year for it. I think it’s time I made it again. Love your idea of serving it with polenta. Cheers, D