The Family Dish: Slow and Saucy Romano Beans

Post image for The Family Dish: Slow and Saucy Romano Beans

Green beans like to hang around, and I like that they like to hang around. Long after the corn and tomatoes and eggplant have departed from farmers market stalls, the piles of green beans remain, along with their cousins, flat-pod romano beans.

In summer, I barely cook green beans, steaming them just until they are emerald green and crisp, and tossing them with a little olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. But at this time of year, the beans tend to be more mature and not quite so tender. That’s when I switch to braising.

Romano beans are especially good cooked slowly in tomato sauce. In Italy, tomato-braised green beans are a classic side dish known as fagiolini all’uccelletto—which essentially translates to ‘beans cooked in the style of game birds.’ Simmered slowly, over low heat, in a savory tomato sauce, the beans lose their toughness but retain their meaty texture and earthy flavor.

This week’s Family Dish features a recipe for tomato-braised romano beans spiked with a little chile pepper. To read the entire post and get the recipe, head to The Washington Post’s All We Can Eat blog. Buon Appetito!

, , , ,

14 Responses to The Family Dish: Slow and Saucy Romano Beans

1. The Food Hunter October 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

My mom always made green beans this way.

• Domenica October 26, 2011 at 8:10 am #

So did my mom. That may be part of the reason why I like them so much this way.

2. Alicia Sokol October 25, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

I am crazy about green beans but I’ve never thought to do them this way. Great idea!

• Domenica October 26, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Try it, Alicia, and let me know what you think.

3. Tori RItchie October 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

’tis the best way to cook them for sure and I’ve been known to eat the whole pot myself.

• Domenica October 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

Me too, Tori–with good Italian bread!

4. Tracy October 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

I love anything with tomato. My boyfriends mother makes a dish similar to this. Also, I wanted to let you know that your pasta book inspired supper last night—and many suppers to come. Thank you!

• Domenica October 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Tracy–thanks for your kind comment. Please keep me posted on what you make. Cheers, D

5. Deborah Barocas October 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

I love these beans, and the best way to eat them is the way you made them. They are hard to find beans…what’s their season? Thanks so much for sharing, I love your blog. Keep up the good work.

• Domenica October 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Your comment just made my day. Thank you, Deborah. As for the beans, here in northern Virginia I’ve gotten them at the farmers’ market in summer and well into fall. Hope you are able to find some. Cheers, D

6. Judy Hante November 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Great recipe — this is similar to how the Greeks cook green beans also!

7. Jamie November 12, 2011 at 8:58 am #

This is also very French and I love it! It really is the perfect cold-weather dish, isn’t it?

8. Warren Bobrow December 11, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I love this type of green bean. I’ve been steaming them, and then finishing them with a dot or two of tomato. The individual flavors are greater (in my opinion) than the combination- If the beans are perfect, why smother them in another direction?

Simple foods cooked simply=love in your stomach. wb

• Domenica December 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Warren, your version sounds delicious. I’m all for simplicity in the kitchen. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers, D