Hello Chicago!

Chicago bean

One of my favorite places happens not to be in Italy (shocking!). It happens to be Chicago, Illinois. It’s where I got engaged 21 years ago and where I sometimes imagine I am living in an alternate universe. Majestic city on the shores of Lake Michigan? Yep, I can see it. In fact, I can see our house. It’s a cozy arts & crafts bungalow with leaded glass windows, lots of polished wood and a front porch (we renovated it ourselves).

Enough with the daydreaming already.

The good news is that I really will be in Chicago. Soon. This weekend ~ for the Chicago Tribune Printers Row Lit Fest. This annual celebration of books and the printed word has been going on since 1985. It now features more than 200 booksellers and 200 authors, who participate in panel discussions and other programs.

Since I write about Italian food, I’ll be talking about Italian food ~ and cooking, of course. I’ll be giving a demonstration on the Good Eating Stage at 2:30 p.m. (Chicago time) on Saturday, June 8 ~ that’s TOMORROW.

I’m going to be making one of my favorite pasta dishes, Maccheroni alla Molinara, a crazy, long loopy noodle that is a specialty of the Teramo province in Abruzzo. It’s a rather dramatic production, but don’t we all need a little drama in our lives ~ and on our plates ~ now and then?

molinara collage

If you are lucky enough to be a Chicagoan (you’re probably living in my house!) or find yourself at the festival, I hope you will stop by to say ‘ciao’ and watch the demo. I’m scheduled to take the stage right after some guy named Rick Bayless, whoever he is. It’s going to be a great show, so I hope you’ll stick around.

Can’t wait to see you, Chicago!

, , ,

17 Responses to Hello Chicago!

1. Susie June 7, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Welcome back to Chicago! Hope to see your demo tomorrow!

• Domenica June 7, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Hi Susie,
      Please do come. It will be fun, I promise. And make sure you come say hello!

2. elisa June 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Domenica June 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Grazie Elisa! I’m looking forward to it.

3. Betty Ann @Mango_Queen June 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

What a wonderful experience! Books, cooking and your favorite topic in one of your favorite cities! Have fun, Domenica ๐Ÿ™‚

• Domenica June 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Thanks Betty Ann. I hope to get some time to check out some of the booksellers and other authors. Should be fun.

4. Diane June 7, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Domenica:
    Welcome back to Chicago—it’s a wonderful city, with some great Italian food, and a lot of great Italian people.
    A presto,
    Diane P

• Domenica June 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Many thanks Diane! If you happen to be at the show please do stop by and say hi.

5. Frank June 8, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Enjoy!

• Domenica June 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Thank you Frank. I had a great time. I love that city and the people. I had the best audience.

6. Michelle - Majella Home Cooking June 8, 2013 at 9:24 am #

I wish I could zap myself to Chicago for that demo. This is a pasta that completely intimidates me as I feel it requires a hands-on demo. One of the women I met last weekend in Santo Stefano told me I could visit her aunt who is supposedly a master at “la mugnaia” although now that I know you’ll be there…. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Enjoy your weekend! Un abbraccio, Michelle

• Domenica June 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Oh you should definitely go see the woman in Abruzzo ~ it’s really something to watch true masters rolling out this noodle.

Looking forward to chatting this week, my friend. A presto

7. The Hungry Lovers June 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

We loved your demo yesterday, especially the way your hands went to work on the pasta while you told your stories and explained your recipes. We’ll definitely have to try this type of pasta. It looks delicious!

• Domenica June 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Thank you, and thank you for coming! I wish we could have handed out samples, but that’s pretty much logistically impossible at such a venue (plus the city wouldn’t allow it). I hope you give it a try ~ the more you do it the easier it gets. Cheers, D

8. Alicia @ Weekly Greens June 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

I hope you had fun in my hometown, Domenica! I also got engaged there…we should exchange stories sometime. Summer time in Chicago is simply the best there is.

• Domenica June 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

I forgot you are from Chicago Alicia! It truly is one of my favorite cities. Was just thinking today that we need to get together to catch up. Let’s do it!

9. Chiara June 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

non conosco Chicago ma mi hanno detto che รจ una cittร  molto interessante!