New Book, New Look

GV large cover 2 We have a launch date, friends.

August 22 20, 2013 is the official release date for The Glorious Vegetables of Italy.

To tell the truth, I get a little dizzy at the thought of it. I never expected to write one cookbook, let alone five. And yet, here I am, less than a decade after embarking on my first, getting ready to introduce you to numero cinque.

I have that same happy but slightly panicked feeling that I had the day my daughter turned 5. I remember very clearly standing there looking at her in her party dress and thinking: Who took my baby and plopped a 5-year-old down in front of me?

I felt the same way earlier this month, when she turned fifteen. Life moves at warp speed and sometimes it’s all you can do to hang on.

When I look in the mirror and see the deepening lines and furrows, I think: It’s me, but it’s not me.

But of course it is me.

I’ve always vowed I would not have “work done.” Lifts, injections, peels. Whatever people do to erase the passage of time. My Zia Elsa had a deeply lined face. “Ogni ruga un esperienza,” she used to say. “Every line is an experience.” I thought she was beautiful.

So, no cosmetic surgery for me. But as you can plainly see, my website has indeed undergone a little nip & tuck. And is looking rather fabulous, if you don’t mind my saying so. I hope you’ll click around a bit. But in the mean time I’d like to point out a few of my favorite new features. EPSON scanner Image

* Header: I love the header (the repeating image that runs across the top of the site). If you look closely you’ll see that it’s actually an old 6 lire stamp depicting a woman in traditional Abruzzese dress.

* Recipes: You can now search and print out recipes without printing an entire post. Click on “Recipes” in the navigation bar to go to the archive.

* Instagram: My Instagram feed is now on the right rail of my blog page. Why? Because I’m an Instagram addict and I tend to post a lot more frequently there than I do here. Most of my pics are of what’s happening in my kitchen (along with shots, every now and then, of my favorite places).

* Events calendar: I had an events calendar on my old site, but I found it cumbersome and I never used it. With the new book coming out, I’ll be updating this new calendar regularly to keep you posted on where I’ll be for cooking classes, book signings, demos etc. Scroll over the word ‘About’ in the navigation bar and then click on ‘Events calendar.’ I’ve already posted a few Glorious Vegetable events, including two cooking classes that I’ll be teaching, July 5 and 6, at Stonewall Kitchen in York, Maine.

* Cookbooks: My cookbooks are now featured at the top of my home page, where they belong ~ because after all, they are at the heart of what I do. Each book has a dedicated page, so just click on a book’s image if you’re interested in learning more.

Which brings meandering me back to where we started. Glorious vegetables, from artichokes to zucchini. This book is in many ways a companion to my previous book The Glorious Pasta of Italy, similar in design and in the way it is organized. The photographer, Sang An, has transformed my written recipes into a visual feast. If you click on The Glorious Vegetables of Italy page, you’ll see a few more photos in addition to the cover, along with a brief description of the contents.

Although the book won’t officially be available for another couple of months, you can, if you are so inclined, pre-order it online. (Please let me know if you do so I can send a proper thank you.)

In the coming weeks I look forward to sharing more from the book, including recipes. After all, summer is in full swing. Glorious vegetables are everywhere.

, , , ,

16 Responses to New Book, New Look

1. meganmink June 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

I am so excited about your new book!

• Domenica Marchetti June 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

Thank you Megan. Thanks for all your hard work.

2. Maria Speck June 25, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Love the new look of your site, Domenica. Clean and well thought through, including great new features. I’m now officially site-envious….xo

• Domenica Marchetti June 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Maria!

3. Alicia Sokol June 25, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Congratulations, Domenica! You are an inspiration on every level. I’m so happy for you. Nice nip and tuck indeed! XOXO.

• Domenica Marchetti June 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

How sweet you are, Alicia. Thank you. Let’s try to get together one of these days.

4. Wendy June 26, 2013 at 8:37 am #

The book looks beautiful and I look forward to getting a copy! I’m with you on warp speed, though. I shall be an empty nester in mere weeks.

• Domenica Marchetti June 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Thanks Wendy. Best of luck with the empty nest transition. I’m still a couple of years off ~ though my kids spend so much time in their rooms anymore that I sometimes feel like an empty nester already 😉

5. elisa June 26, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Congratulations!!! Auguri!!! Can’t wait to go through every page, your books give me happiness. I also love your new website, molto moderna e le foto sono non solo belle ma appettitose!

• Domenica Marchetti June 26, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Grazie di cuore, Elisa. Ti mando un abbraccio.

6. Adri June 28, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Who needs a facelift when you’ve got a slick new website! It looks wonderful. I’m with your Zia Elsa. Remember I am out here in LA, where everyone, and I do mean everyone “has had work done.” The trouble with “work” it seems, is that a little is never enough. Not so with a new website, a new book, and your never ending talent. Nope. You need neither scalpel nor needle because you, my dear, have your own wits and a pen.

• Domenica Marchetti June 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

I don’t think I could survive the LA life, Adri 😉 Thanks for your kind words.

7. paninigirl July 5, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Looking good! I can’t wait for your new book to be sitting on my kitchen counter.

• Domenica Marchetti July 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

A belated thanks, Janie!

8. kellybakes July 11, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Love the new look of your site and I can’t wait for your new book to join its wonderful sibling, Glorious Pasta, in my cookbook collection!

• Domenica Marchetti July 11, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Thanks Kelly ~ I only have one single copy at the moment, but it does look nice next to the pasta book!