Join Me in Abruzzo: Two Culinary Tours

abruzzo_castle_italy_tours

Rocca Calascio, one of the magnificent places we’ll visit on our culinary tour of Abruzzo

I’ve been dreaming about this moment for quite some time. Why? Because this is the moment in which I get to invite you to join me in Abruzzo for nine days of exploring, cooking and feasting.

Abruzzo food diptic

The details are set, the places secured, and I’m thrilled to announce that I’ll be leading two culinary tours ~ in June and September ~ to this undiscovered gem of a region. I’ve been working with Nancy and Michael Morizio of Abruzzo Presto, and together we have put together an incredible tour of culinary and cultural exploration ~ truly a food lover’s dream tour. Among the highlights:

* hunting for truffles and feasting on our finds.
* visiting the saffron fields of Navelli and learning about this precious ingredient.
* tasting sheep’s milk cheeses from artisan producers.
* a picnic lunch of Abruzzo’s famous ‘arrosticini’ on the Gran Sasso mountain range.
* an organic olive oil tour and tasting with Francesca of CantinArte.
* a private wine tour and tasting, with a view of the Maiella mountains and the Adriatic sea as our backdrop.
* hands-on cooking classes in which we’ll make a variety of traditional Abruzzese dishes, including fresh pasta, wood-fired pizza, and rustic desserts.

Campo Imperatore

Campo Imperatore, the otherworldly high plateau on the Gran Sasso mountain range.

Located just a couple of hours outside of Rome, Abruzzo is Italy’s greenest region, an unspoiled gem with three national parks within its borders. It is a place of medieval villages and fortresses, of hermitages hidden within its rocky heart, of bucolic hills planted with grape vines and olive orchards, and of beautiful beaches along the Adriatic coast.

Pacentro

The castle in the picturesque hilltop town Pacentro dates back to the 14th century.

It’s also the region where my mom was born and raised, and where I spent my summers when I was growing up. As some of you know, I go back often for research and for new inspiration. If you’re familiar with my books, you know that there is a bit of Abruzzo in all of them, in the recipes and in the stories.

MichaelNancy

Our most gracious hosts, Michael and Nancy Morizio.

I’m thrilled to be able to share this magnificent place with you during this 9-day tour, especially with Nancy and Michael of Abruzzo Presto as our hosts. This enthusiastic and welcoming couple also have roots in Abruzzo and now live in the village where Michael’s grandfather was born and raised. They are as devoted to Abruzzo as I am.

During our tour, we will be staying in two of Abruzzo’s finest places: Le Magnolie, a restored 17th century farmhouse in Loreto Aprutino; and the beautifully appointed Il Marchese del Grillo B & B, in Sulmona. Our days will be spent tooling round the mountains and hills, meeting food artisans, enjoying the best food and wine that Abruzzo has to offer, and soaking up the incredible history and beauty of the region.

Dates of the tours are June 22 – 30, 2014; and September 21 – 29, 2014. This is a small tour, limited to eight people. Click here for details or contact Abruzzo Presto directly. Please also feel free to contact me for more information. We would love to have you join us!

30 Responses to Join Me in Abruzzo: Two Culinary Tours

1. Helen March 12, 2014 at 6:40 am #

This tour is tops! Well designed for eight fortunate folks.

• Domenica Marchetti March 14, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Thank you, Helen. You know the area well, so this means a lot. xo

• Dr. Thomas Ferretti May 14, 2014 at 11:53 am #

Ciao Domenica, Will you be having any of the culinary Abruzzo tours in 2015? We already have a tour booked for this year but wish we had seen your’s first. My grandfather is Abruzzese. Mille grazie, Dr. Tom and Ann Ferretti USA

• Domenica Marchetti May 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

Ciao Thomas, many thanks for writing. Yes, we will indeed be offering the culinary tours in 2015. We are working on nailing down specific dates, but they will likely run around the same time ~ end of June and end of September. I will let you know as soon as we have the official dates. We would love for you to join us!

2. jamielifesafeast March 12, 2014 at 7:08 am #

Oooh I cannot commit yet but if things go well for us the next couple of months I will speak to husband about us going. I would so love to since I know it will be stupendous!

• Domenica Marchetti March 14, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Oh gosh it would be fun to have you and JP along. Can’t wait to see you in Chicago xo

3. tori March 12, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

Brava! these sound incredible. Will help spread the word.

4. Michelle - Majella Home Cooking March 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

In bocca al lupo, Domenica. Your talent and passion for Abruzzo will undoubtedly serve our beloved region well. Un abbraccio, Michelle

• Domenica Marchetti March 14, 2014 at 10:13 am #

Michelle, thank you! I know you are also working on events to bring people to Abruzzo and I will be happy to help spread the word. Un abbraccio anche a te.

5. bettyannq @Mango_Queen March 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

Gasp! This has been my dream. To go on a culinary tour to Italy. I love, love,love Italy. There is even a ‘Ristorante Quirino’ in Rome (of course it is not Abruzzo) but I saw that as a sign of how I am meant to return to Italy. I hope you will do this again next year so I can plan way ahead. Thanks and best of luck for this, Domenica.

• Domenica Marchetti March 14, 2014 at 10:14 am #

Betty Ann, I hope we’ll be doing this for years to come. I will keep you posted. Yes, you must return to Italy. I would love to have you along for the tour. In the mean time, see you in Chicago!

6. Laney (Ortensia Blu) March 12, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

Looks like an incredible tour, Domenica – sounds like 8 people will have an extraordinary experience!

• Domenica Marchetti March 14, 2014 at 10:14 am #

Thanks Laney ~ that’s the plan. Abruzzo is full of the extraordinary. xo

7. Paola March 12, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

How wonderful that you finally living this dream Domenica – how very very exciting. It looks like a lovely tour. Abruzzo is so beautiful – it is one of the regions I have never been to. Brava!! x

8. Beth (OMG! Yummy) March 13, 2014 at 1:59 am #

Wonderful news Domenica. You can’t imagine how much I’d love to go as would my whole family but it will be a hard sell to our bank accounts after my amalfi coast cooking lessons last summer. I hope it’s a wild success so you do it again and again!

9. Phyllis @ Oracibo March 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

Oh, Domenica if only we could! I am sure it will be absolutely wonderful!

10. ciaochowlinda March 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Domenica – I can’t imagine a more perfect guide than you for a culinary tour of Abruzzo. This is bound to be a memorable event for anyone who signs up.

• Domenica Marchetti March 14, 2014 at 10:17 am #

Linda, that is a sweet thing to say. You know Abruzzo as well as anyone. I hope we get a chance to see each other over there. xo

11. Sammy March 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Oooh looks wonderful and I’m sure it will be a sell out, everyone loves your take on Abruzzese cuisine. I can’t wait to see the photos of your picnic on the Gran Sasso, maybe you can do a teaser recipe before so I can have a practice run for you! Hope to see you when you’re over and finally meet x

• Domenica Marchetti March 15, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Thank you Sammy ~ it’s about time we met, isn’t it?! Cheers, D

12. Louise March 16, 2014 at 9:39 am #

What a glorious experience, beautifully designed. I’d love to go in another year.

• Domenica Marchetti March 17, 2014 at 12:16 am #

Thank you, Louise. We’d love to have you, so yes, please keep it in mind. Maybe next year…

13. Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 26, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

What an amazing tour, this would be a dream come true!

14. Michael Morizio April 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

We just announced that the next three guests who decide to join us for this amazing Culinary Tour of Abruzzo with Domenica in JUNE will receive a $500 rebate!! Act now… come join us! 🙂

1. Fav Reads On Italy This Week: Mar 14 - BrowsingItaly - March 14, 2014

[…] Join me in Abruzzo: Two Culinary Tours by Domenica Cooks – If you love cooking and discovering places that are hidden gems, this is for you. I love Abruzzo and I am sure that you will have an unforgettable experience of cooking and feasting. Here’s more on towns in Abruzzo. […]