I’ve been dreaming about this moment for quite some time. Why? Because this is the moment in which I get to invite you to join me in Abruzzo for nine days of exploring, cooking and feasting.
The details are set, the places secured, and I’m thrilled to announce that I’ll be leading two culinary tours ~ in June and September ~ to this undiscovered gem of a region. I’ve been working with Nancy and Michael Morizio of Abruzzo Presto, and together we have put together an incredible tour of culinary and cultural exploration ~ truly a food lover’s dream tour. Among the highlights:
* hunting for truffles and feasting on our finds.
* visiting the saffron fields of Navelli and learning about this precious ingredient.
* tasting sheep’s milk cheeses from artisan producers.
* a picnic lunch of Abruzzo’s famous ‘arrosticini’ on the Gran Sasso mountain range.
* an organic olive oil tour and tasting with Francesca of CantinArte.
* a private wine tour and tasting, with a view of the Maiella mountains and the Adriatic sea as our backdrop.
* hands-on cooking classes in which we’ll make a variety of traditional Abruzzese dishes, including fresh pasta, wood-fired pizza, and rustic desserts.
Located just a couple of hours outside of Rome, Abruzzo is Italy’s greenest region, an unspoiled gem with three national parks within its borders. It is a place of medieval villages and fortresses, of hermitages hidden within its rocky heart, of bucolic hills planted with grape vines and olive orchards, and of beautiful beaches along the Adriatic coast.
It’s also the region where my mom was born and raised, and where I spent my summers when I was growing up. As some of you know, I go back often for research and for new inspiration. If you’re familiar with my books, you know that there is a bit of Abruzzo in all of them, in the recipes and in the stories.
I’m thrilled to be able to share this magnificent place with you during this 9-day tour, especially with Nancy and Michael of Abruzzo Presto as our hosts. This enthusiastic and welcoming couple also have roots in Abruzzo and now live in the village where Michael’s grandfather was born and raised. They are as devoted to Abruzzo as I am.
During our tour, we will be staying in two of Abruzzo’s finest places: Le Magnolie, a restored 17th century farmhouse in Loreto Aprutino; and the beautifully appointed Il Marchese del Grillo B & B, in Sulmona. Our days will be spent tooling round the mountains and hills, meeting food artisans, enjoying the best food and wine that Abruzzo has to offer, and soaking up the incredible history and beauty of the region.
Dates of the tours are June 22 – 30, 2014; and September 21 – 29, 2014. This is a small tour, limited to eight people. Click here for details or contact Abruzzo Presto directly. Please also feel free to contact me for more information. We would love to have you join us!