Silence Is Golden. So Are Beets. #silentsunday

Painted in Waterlogue golden beets

Makes 4 servings

Roasted Golden Beet Salad

This is a bare-bones recipes, meant to be tailored to your liking. Some of my favorite additions include thinly sliced onion, shaved fennel, crumbled gorgonzola, fresh goat cheese or good Greek feta. Other good ingredients to add: pomegranate arils, orange segments, toasted walnuts. Toss in greens to make it a more traditional salad.

Ingredients

• 4 medium golden beets
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • White balsamic vinegar
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Wash the beets under cold running water, taking care to scrub off any dirt or grit. Trim the roots, and cut off the stems and leaves. If the leaves are fresh, set them aside (I sauté them with garlic in olive oil or toss them in soup). Place the bulbs upright in a small oven-proof baking dish. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons of oil over the beets and cover with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until tender. A cake tester inserted into a beet should meet with little resistance. Remove from the oven, uncover, and let sit until cool enough to handle.

Transfer the cooled beets to a cutting board. Reserve the liquid in the baking dish. Scrape the skin off the beets and cut them lengthwise into wedges. Leave them as wedges or cut the wedges in half crosswise into bite-size pieces. Place them in a bowl.

Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar into the reserved beet liquid and whisk until emulsified. Season with a generous pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper and whisk until combined. Pour the beet dressing over the beets and gently mix until all the beets are nicely coated. Serve warm.

16 Responses to Silence Is Golden. So Are Beets. #silentsunday

1. Adri March 9, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Silent Sunday – I love the image that conjures up. I have never tasted golden beets. I need to do something about that. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Domenica Marchetti March 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

Adri, I’m surprised you haven’t tried golden beets yet. You Californians are always ahead of the curve when it comes to veggies 😉 If you like beet-colored beets, you will also like these. They’re slightly less bitter, IMO. Cheers, D

2. Paula Feldman March 9, 2014 at 10:02 am #

golden beets? never heard of them. Ours are always, well, purple red. Silent Sunday – had a giggle…crunching beets?

• Domenica Marchetti March 9, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

You’re right, Paula. Beets aren’t the quietest of vegetables, are they? I guess I didn’t realize the gold ones were still a novelty. My farmers’ market carries them, along with Chioggia beets, the red and white ones that look like a target when you cut them crossways. I love them no matter the color.

3. Rosa Mayland March 9, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Simple, yet very refined! Lovely recipe and pictures.

Rosa

4. bettyannq @Mango_Queen March 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

I love red beets and have yet to try the golden ones. Your recipe is so simple and I’m sure it will be delicious. What a marvelous photo and illustration. Who did the painting? Thanks for sharing this enjoyable post, Domenica!

• Domenica Marchetti March 9, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Thanks Betty Ann. I wish I could say I painted it, but alas, I’m not so talented. I uploaded an app called Waterlogue. It turns your photos into paintings. Magic!

5. ciaochowlinda March 9, 2014 at 11:27 pm #

Well, beets in any color and form are a favorite of mine, but that app sure turned those beets into a gorgeous watercolor. I can’t wait to try it. And you know I covet those marble countertops of yours.

6. Chiara March 10, 2014 at 2:58 am #

non le ho mai mangiate, le cerco…Grazie Domenica, buona settimana

• Domenica Marchetti March 10, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

Chiara ~ io davvero non ho mai mangiato le barbabietole in Italia. Penso che siano più del nord, oppure no?

7. elisa March 10, 2014 at 10:22 am #

I love all kind of beets, red, white, Chioggia(Bassano) and the sweetness of the golden. I like to mix the dressing with a hint of maple syrup. Grazie!

• Domenica Marchetti March 10, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

Elisa, I don’t think I’ve had white beets. I’ve had the red, the Chioggia, and the golden ones. Are white ones much different? Now I’m really curious! Also, maple syrup ~ nice touch. Thanks!

8. elisa March 11, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Domenica, you might enjoy reading about baby white beets.

• Domenica Marchetti March 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the link, Elisa. I’ll have to look for them at the farmers’ market.

9. staceysnacks March 12, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

I grow 3 types of beets, golden, red ace and chioggia. I love them all, but the goldens are my favorite because your hands don’t get all red! I am roasting a batch (from the supermarket of course) right now! Going to try the white balsamic w/ the beet juices as a dressing. Great idea!