Al Mercato {at the farmers’ market}

John of SPC 2

I can now say, unequivocally, that spring is here. Finally. Our local farmers’ market is OPEN. It’s a small market, about 15 vendors set up in the parking lot of the local library, but I love it and from May through December I count on it for vegetables, fruit, meat, eggs, and essentials such as cheese curds and whoopee pies. This is John, whose Small Pond Farm has great greens. Below are a few shots I snapped this morning. I’m happy to see Twin Springs Fruit Farm in its usual spot. The dairy ladies from Misty Meadow Farm Creamery (my source for those cheese curds and, now, drinkable yogurt) are back, and so is Laurel Grove Farms (spring onions and strawberries) and Valentine Country Bakery and Meats, with its beautiful pies, plus grass-fed beef and veal, lamb, pork and chicken. And eggs. And coconut cake. New this year: a vendor who sells borek and baklava. YES. Enjoy the pics. Alla primavera!

SPF stand

strawberry baskets

rhubarb plant

spring onions

dairy stand

borek stand

radishes

Valentines pies

Twin Springs truck

may market haul

Today’s haul: Tomato plants, asparagus, spring onions, drinkable yogurt, eggs, spinach, cheese curds, strawberries, radishes, spinach & cheese borek. What would you do with these goodies?

20 Responses to Al Mercato {at the farmers’ market}

1. Mary Louise Tucker May 7, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Ah spring! I look forward to some food pictures of whatever you create. We are in the throes of autumn here in Australia and that brings wonderful things to our Farmer’s Market. Celebrate every season.

• Domenica Marchetti May 10, 2014 at 8:24 am #

Mary Louise ~ one day I am going to visit your beautiful country. It’s on my bucket list (along with the Australian Open!!). Cheers and thanks for reading.

2. MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar May 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm #

You’ve inspired me to get myself over to the Falls Church Farmer’s Market on Saturday… What a great little photo essay – thanks!

3. Jacki @Two Forks One Love May 7, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

A quiche with the vegetables, egg and cheese curds would be lovely.

• Domenica Marchetti May 10, 2014 at 8:26 am #

Yes, that’s an excellent idea…with radishes on the side. Thanks!

4. Rosa Mayland May 8, 2014 at 5:49 am #

A wonderful market that offers lovely produces!

Rosa

5. Ciao Chow Linda May 8, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

Domenica – I’m so grateful for these local farmer’s markets. Those strawberries are a whole different fruit from the chemically-tasting stuff in the supermarkets. A wonderful salad comes to mind initially, but maybe asparagus mimosa, with chopped eggs on top, and strawberries drizzled with some good balsamic. I have no idea what to do with those cheese curds. Are they the type used to make mozzarella?

• Domenica Marchetti May 10, 2014 at 8:28 am #

Linda, strawberries + balsamic = heaven. The cheese curds are cheddar curds. They are pleasantly tangy. I’ve breaded and fried them before (which of course the kids love) but I also like to just eat them plain as a snack. Also good in frittatas, as Jacki mentioned above.

6. jamielifesafeast May 9, 2014 at 3:58 am #

What a wonderful farmer’s market! It may be small but it puts the one I go to to shame. What great quality and products (mmmm the borek, the pies… the whoopee pies!). I am all excited, too, since the local strawberries and asparagus are both now making their appearance on our markets.

7. familystyle food (@familystylefood) May 9, 2014 at 9:03 am #

Hurray! You’re a week or two ahead of me here in New Jersey but I have marked opening day for a few markets on my calendar and cannot wait! Your haul looks perfectly springy. I love the multicolored eggs.

• Domenica Marchetti May 10, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Karen, I grew up in NJ and my folks are there. What a wonderful local food scene our Garden State has!

8. Frank Fariello May 10, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Spring really is here. And not a day too soon!

9. Adri May 10, 2014 at 12:46 pm #

What a neat market. We’re pretty fortunate here in Los Angeles as we have many Farmers’ Markets, all of which operate year ’round. I love the produce they have, and i have particularly come to enjoy the artisanal bakers who show up. There are so many talented and very committed people out there. I find it particularly educational and informative to stop and speak to these folks. They really know what they are talking about, and appreciate it when we stop and discuss what they grow, their growing methods, etc. Three cheers for America’s small farmers.

10. Phyllis @ Oracibo May 11, 2014 at 6:57 am #

Agree Domenica, what would we do without our local farmers setting up all their goodies for us? I spotted those ramps right away and will be praying somebody at Trout Lake or Kits Market in Vancouver will have some! The borek…yummy! Not an easy thing to find…I think I should find a recipe and make some! Local asparagus…could go on and on! We are so lucky!

11. paninigirl May 13, 2014 at 9:51 am #

Isn’t spring wonderful? I am lucky to have great farmers’ markets all year long but I really look forward to each new season and can’t wait to see what’s going to show up each week.

12. Sardo June 10, 2014 at 5:44 am #

This website is a fantastic discovery! Thanks for writing! 🙂

1. Lemon Bow Ties with Asparagus and Peas | Bourbon & Brown Sugar - May 8, 2014

[…] Domenica at Domenica Cooks featured a fun photo essay from her local Farmer’s Market the other day… and I was struck by the fact she has befriended all the vendors over the years.  It has been years since we lived in London… I decided it is time for me to get my food-obsessed self over to my local farmer’s market on Fridays and get to know the crew… […]