In Giro: Italy and More Around the Web

fiat steering wheel It’s time to take another spin around the web for some (mostly) Italian link love. Andiamo:

1. First, a short history of the Colosseum and restoration efforts (video).

2. This video reminded me that it actually is worth standing in line for hours to see the miracle of Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel (though I wouldn’t expect a canonization ceremony for him anytime soon).

3. Speaking of saints, enjoy this ode to the patron saint of TV (yes, there is one), plus a recipe for Roman (Catholic) apple cake.

4. I’m not quite sure what makes these sodas Italian but they look absolutely fabulous. That must be it.

5. Le Virtu’: not your average rite-of-spring soup (in Italian).

6. The recent passing of Sicilian Arturo Licata, the world’s oldest man.

7. Say what? Who knew Italy was the world’s second-largest producer of kiwi fruit?

8. I am making this asparagus, leek and spinach tart for dinner. (Beyond the recipe, I love the writing here.)

9. And this limoncello pound cake for dessert (in Italian).

10. Thirty years of Alfred Portale’s Gotham Bar & Grill (possibly my favorite NY restaurant).

Plus…

I’m tickled that both Nothing in the House and Ciao Chow Linda made my lemon-ricotta crostata.

And…

I got to chat about Abruzzo in this podcast with my friend Lora, co-founder of the new site Savoring Italy.

Happy travels (virtual or real) and buon weekend a tutti.

* * * * * *

Join me for a culinary tour of Abruzzo ~ nine magical days in Italy’s most spectacular, undiscovered region. Hands-on cooking classes included! Two dates: June 22-30, 2014 and September 21-29, 2014. Click here for details.

12 Responses to In Giro: Italy and More Around the Web

1. Adri May 2, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

What a wonderful collection of Italian link love. I particularly enjoyed visiting sites that are new to me. Thank you for the introductions. You have found some great work, and how lovely to see that Linda and Emily made your Lemon-RIcotta Crostata. Their crostate look beautiful. Isn’t that just the nicest compliment you could get?

• Domenica Marchetti May 3, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

Adri, yes ~ it always makes me glad to know that people enjoy making my recipes. Thanks for clicking and reading.

2. Ciao Chow Linda May 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

Thanks for the shout-out Domenica. I just love this giro series you’ve started. It’s such a great way to find out about other blogs I might never have known about. By the way, I was really surprised years ago to find out about how much kiwi is grown in Italy. I had always thought it was a warm weather crop, but when I visited friends at their home in the Castelli Romani, I found a trellis in their backyard with kiwi fruit drooping down from it.

• Domenica Marchetti May 3, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

Linda ~ so interesting. I had absolutely no idea that Italy was such a big producer of kiwi fruit. I have seen kiwi gelato around here and there in Italy but was always suspicious. I’ll have to try it next time.

3. Emily May 2, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

Thanks for the shout-out, Domenica! The crostata was SUCH a hit, and I’m in admiration of your and Linda’s lattice skills.

• Domenica Marchetti May 3, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

Emily, your crostata came out perfectly. I’m glad everyone enjoyed it. I was thrilled when you shared the recipe. Thank you.

4. jamielifesafeast May 3, 2014 at 6:50 am #

I also love this series and it inspires me to do something similar about France. But through your series I get to relive my years living in a marvelous country – Italy.

• Domenica Marchetti May 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Thanks, dear friend. I think that’s one of the reasons I enjoy surfing around for good links to share. I, too, get to take a vicarious trip. xo

5. Lulu Abruzzo May 5, 2014 at 3:01 am #

Anything limoncello-related is good! My friend made a limoncello and polenta cake, which was amazing.

6. Frank Fariello May 5, 2014 at 7:44 am #

Looking forward to checking out that podcast, Domenica!

7. tori May 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

Are you driving a Fiat 500 these days???? I’m dying to get the electric one but don’t have a garage to plug it in. Friend has it and it’s the cutest, smoothest little car around.

• Domenica Marchetti May 23, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

WHAA? I didn’t know until you said so that there’s an electric version. I just googled it; it’s adorable. OK, that will be my next one. I just got a 2013. Love it. It gets almost as good mileage as our hybrid.