1. First, a short history of the Colosseum and restoration efforts (video).
2. This video reminded me that it actually is worth standing in line for hours to see the miracle of Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel (though I wouldn’t expect a canonization ceremony for him anytime soon).
3. Speaking of saints, enjoy this ode to the patron saint of TV (yes, there is one), plus a recipe for Roman (Catholic) apple cake.
4. I’m not quite sure what makes these sodas Italian but they look absolutely fabulous. That must be it.
5. Le Virtu’: not your average rite-of-spring soup (in Italian).
6. The recent passing of Sicilian Arturo Licata, the world’s oldest man.
7. Say what? Who knew Italy was the world’s second-largest producer of kiwi fruit?
8. I am making this asparagus, leek and spinach tart for dinner. (Beyond the recipe, I love the writing here.)
9. And this limoncello pound cake for dessert (in Italian).
10. Thirty years of Alfred Portale’s Gotham Bar & Grill (possibly my favorite NY restaurant).
Happy travels (virtual or real) and buon weekend a tutti.
* * * * * *
Join me for a culinary tour of Abruzzo ~ nine magical days in Italy’s most spectacular, undiscovered region. Hands-on cooking classes included! Two dates: June 22-30, 2014 and September 21-29, 2014. Click here for details.