Postcards from Abruzzo

maiella ginestra La ginestra, the fragrant and spiky broom plant, is in full bloom right now, lighting the foothills of the Majella mountain on fire with its glorious yellow flowers. It takes a lot of sightseeing ~ and eating ~ to plan a culinary tour of Abruzzo. Here are a few more snapshots from my recent trip:

Eremo di S. Bartolomeo The hermitage of San Bartolomeo, near Roccamorice, is cut right into a rocky spur and can be reached only on foot. It dates to the 11th century and was used as a place of spiritual contemplation by Pietro dal Morrone, the future Pope Celestine V.

Rocca C At 4,790 feet above sea level, Rocca Calascio, built between the 10th and 13th centuries, is the highest fortress in the Apennines.

shepherd Shepherds are still a common sighting in the hills and mountains of Abruzzo.

Vasto mare The placid blue Adriatic and the gentle coastline of Vasto.

chitarrina seafood Chitarrina ai frutti di mare features thin, square-cut egg noodles and fresh local seafood.

Abruzzo food collage 2 Salumi, zucchini, cheeses, farro, pork “ciff-ciaff,” nettle crepes, maccheroni alla chitarra, roast lamb, fruit tart. WOW.

Michael & Nancy at Tholos It might not look like it here, but my culinary tour partners, Michael and Nancy, and I worked hard every day to finalize the details for our tour at the end of September. Why don’t you join us?

17 Responses to Postcards from Abruzzo

1. Helen July 7, 2014 at 8:29 am #

Yes, yes, yes. Makes me want to return NOW.

2. Rosa Mayland July 7, 2014 at 11:30 am #

A beautiful region!

Rosa

• Domenica Marchetti July 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

Yes, spectacular Rosa! If you haven’t been yet I do hope you’ll get there.

3. Ciao Chow Linda July 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Oh, I just returned to the US but I’m longing to be back. Beautiful photos, Domenica. Enjoy.

• Domenica Marchetti July 8, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

I’m feeling that same pull, Linda. BTW, I had the opportunity to enjoy a slice of Marta’s chocolate-mint cake. And I had a somewhat different version at a restaurant in Sulmona. So delicious!

4. Frank Fariello July 9, 2014 at 8:05 am #

Spectacular photos, Domenica! I’ve always thought that Abruzzo is one of Italy’s most beautiful regions. And since it’s not as well known to foreign tourists, you can really enjoy it.

• Domenica Marchetti July 11, 2014 at 8:16 am #

Yes, Frank, that’s the thing. There were NO other people on the day we climbed up to Rocca Calascio. And it’s free. Can you beat that?!

• Frank Fariello July 13, 2014 at 9:50 am #

No way to beat that! By the way, speaking of tourism, check out this article:

• Domenica Marchetti July 13, 2014 at 10:35 am #

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing the link, Frank. Rome–>Florence–>Venice. Unfortunately, most people don’t realize there is much more to Italy than those three destinations. On the other hand, I guess if you’re only going over once those are the must-see cities. And, of course, one of the reasons Abruzzo is so beautiful is that it is still unspoiled. So, while I’m all for spreading the word, I’m also mindful of working in ways that preserve those characteristics that make the region so special in the first place.

5. Tracy July 9, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

I’m ready to go back to Italy, ready to explore new regions and I really think Abruzzo will be one of them next time. Now, if I could just talk Roberto into one of your tours…Lovely images!

• Domenica Marchetti July 11, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Thank you Tracy. I’m ready to go back, too…Would love for you to join us for a tour…maybe 2015??

6. Phyllis @ Oracibo July 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm #

Looks gorgeous, maybe one day! I know we would love the food…made fresh chitarra pasta using the description in your Vegetables of Italy, the other night, it was delish! Maybe I should get the proper “guitar” for making the pasta as it has to be one of our all time favourites? Our Kitchen Aid has only the two heads and I wish to goodness they had a chitarra one!

• Domenica Marchetti July 11, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Phyllis, I use a hand-crank Atlas. It has a wide cutters (fettuccine) and a narrow “square” spaghetti cutter that is not unlike chitarra noodles. Still, it’s more fun to use the old-fashioned chitarra instrument.

7. Domenic August 28, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

I just returned from a two week stay in Abruzzo and Molise. My relatives over there are amazing with their ability to make artisanal dishes look so simple and elegant. From fusilli to la chitara to Caci e ovo to risotto con tartufo. Just awesome! Oh and the big word down there right now is “agriturismo”.

• Domenica Marchetti August 28, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

Domenic, thanks for stopping by. Yes, the Abruzzesi are some of the best cooks, aren’t they. Where in Abruzzo is your family from?

1. 10 Favorite Reads on Italy this week: July 11 - BrowsingItaly - July 12, 2014

[…] Postcards from Abruzzo by Domenica Cooks – From the mountains to the sea and so many stunning sceneries in between, the region of Abruzzo remains unexplored by most international visitors. […]