Thanksgiving Menu

Thanksgiving platter

I’m pretty sure the last thing you need is more Thanksgiving recipes. Instead I’d like to share the menu I devised for this year’s feast at our house. It’s been a few years since we’ve hosted, so I enjoyed putting this together ~ in theory, anyway. We’ll see how it goes on Thanksgiving Day. If you celebrate, I’d love to hear about what you’re making or serving. Please share in the comments section below. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

* * * * *

Thanksgiving Menu, 2014

Assorted pickled things, smoked oysters, olives, cheese

Cream of Celery Soup

Classic Roast Turkey, not brined

Bread stuffing with pancetta, pearl onions, porcini mushrooms and sage

Cranberry Mostarda

Mashed Potatoes (only because my kids insist on it)

Carrot Pudding, from The Thanksgiving Table, by Diane Morgan

Blissful Corn Torte, from Pati’s Mexican Table, by Pati Jinich

Winter Endive and Orange Salad from Big Night In

Pumpkin Pie with Mascarpone

Mango Pie, from Mango, by Jen Karetnick (my daughter Adriana’s contribution)

Torta Piemontese alle Nocciole (Piemonte Hazelnut Cake, recipe forthcoming)

Assorted digestivi and liqueurs

* * * * * *

From the archives, a few ideas for repurposing those leftovers:

Turkey and Vegetable Pot Pie

Baked Truffled Mashed Potatoes

Stuffing Dumpling Soup

30 Responses to Thanksgiving Menu

1. Rosa Jeanne Mayland November 24, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Wonderful! I’d love to sit at your table… 😉

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rosa

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:41 am #

Thank you, Rosa. We’re keeping it small ~ just ourselves and some dear friends. Cheers, D

2. Adri Barr Crocetti November 24, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Domenica,

What a wonderful menu. It sounds like your table will be the happening place. I wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!

3. bettyannquirino @Mango_Queen November 24, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

What great menu ideas. I’m bookmarking this for the next family reunion. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving, Domenica! We just had a big pre-turkey 3-day reunion which my husband and I hosted in NJ. Family flew in from all over. There were many dishes. But what stood out was a large dish of Pancit Bihon Guisado, a classic noodle stir fry. It’s a blog favorite on my http://www.AsianInAmericamag.com.

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:43 am #

I can tell by your comment how happy you are to have your family around you, Betty Ann. I’ll have to make your pandit for my kids. It sounds like something they would like very much. Thank you for sharing the link.

4. Karen November 24, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Your menu sounds delicious and just right – I’ll be adding your Cranberry Mostarda to my usual fresh orange relish. I’m helping my sister cook this year in RI. It’s the first time she’s hosted and about 20 years since we’ve celebrated the holiday together with my family. We’re having a simple roasted bird (seasoned one day ahead with salt, pepper and rosemary), roasted garlic mashed potatoes, shredded sauteed brussels sprouts, sweet potato fries and balsamic green beans. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:45 am #

What a lovely menu, Karen. Your bird sounds similar to what we’re doing ~ I’m going to rub mine with seasoned salt (rosemary, pepper, lemon, fennel) and roast it simply. Enjoy the holiday.

5. lizthechef November 24, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

Thanks for not brining your turkey – all that unnecessary salt…Your menu sounds gorgeous – enjoy a lovely holiday!

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Thank you, Liz, and the same to you. I tried (wet) brining once and it made the meat spongy. Much prefer traditional simple roasting. Have a wonderful holiday.

6. Phyllis@Oracibo November 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm #

Wow, you are going to be one busy cook! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Thanks Phyllis. Getting a head start with some of it so I won’t be swamped on Thursday. Cheers, D

7. Paula Francese November 24, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

We’ll be going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving this year. but I’m making your Pumpkin Pie with Mascarpone. That will be the highlight of our feast. Have a great holiday with your loved ones.

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:48 am #

Enjoy Thanksgiving out, Paula ~ no dishes! Cheers to you and yours.

8. jamielifesafeast November 25, 2014 at 5:52 am #

Happy Thanksgiving, Domenica, to you and your family. Your menu sounds delicious and I’ll be waiting for your recipe for Torta Piemontese alle Nocciole…. And I do want to make you Pumpkin Mascarpone Pie! No Thanksgiving here…. but we do love to eat!

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 8:48 am #

I’ll be posting the hazelnut torte recipe soon, so stay tuned Jamie. xo

9. elisa November 25, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Happy Thanksgiving Domenica!!! Love your recipes for that day! Is just my husband and I and we like to stay at home, I will cook a small bird sweet and sour (maple syrup and apple vinegar cream, yes cream, made with cream. He likes cranberry (I make it with orange rind and ground hazelnuts), I use hazelnuts everywhere!! Sweet potatoes fluff, silky mash potatoes, made with just olive oil and greek olives, boston lettuce salad with crumbled cooked egg yolks and bacon and for dessert a hazelnut pudding. I just put 10 Lbs. with this message!

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

Elisa, thanks for sharing your menu. It sounds wonderful. I’m considering making our mashed potatoes with olive oil this year, unless I’m voted down. I’d love to know more about your turkey recipe. It sounds incredible. Grazie, D

10. Laney November 25, 2014 at 10:27 am #

I’m with your kids and the mashed potatoes…there’s just nothing better to soak up all that gravy! Mine have to have mashed sweet potatoes with the mini-marshmallows, but I suppose all of this is what makes those family traditions…Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Domenica!

• Domenica Marchetti November 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

I adore sweet potatoes, Laney. I always go back and forth between doing sweet potatoes or the carrot pudding, but I love that carrot pudding so much that it usually wins out.

11. Phyllis@Oracibo November 25, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

The only time we do mashed potatoes when having a turkey is when my brother is here! Otherwise…it’s full out turkey stuffing only…which we think is more yummy!

12. Chiara November 25, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

mi piacerebbe passare questa festa negli Stati Uniti, i pranzi per il thanksgiving sono sempre così succulenti e festosi !

• Domenica Marchetti November 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

E’ veramente una bella festa, Chiara. Magari un giorno…un abbraccio!

13. Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Wonderful menu, I’m looking forward to your hazelnut cake recipe! There will just be three of us so we are doing pork loin with cherry sauce, butternut squash gnocchi, pumpkin biscuits, and a pear salad. I decided at the last minute to make a pie, so I’ll be baking that in the morning :).

• Domenica Marchetti November 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

That’s a lovely menu, Laura. The pork loin with cherry sauce sounds delicious. Happy Thanksgiving to you and happy baking!

14. Jen Karetnick November 29, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

Thank you so much for linking my cookbook! A great Thanksgiving gift 🙂

15. Fr Peter November 30, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

I always host Thanksgiving since we are able to use the Hall downstairs from the Chapel. I take care of the turkey, gravy and appetizers (usually too many of them 🙂 The rest of the family brings sides and dessert. My sister Denise always brings something healthy. This year it was a wonderful Cauliflower salad. When I asked where she got the recipe, she said Domenica! So, Thank You! It was nice to have you at our table as well!

• Domenica Marchetti December 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Hi Fr Peter, thank you for stopping by. How nice to hear that I was present at your table on Thanksgiving. I love that cauliflower salad for its appearance not only its flavor. This year I did something slightly different: I had a variety of ITalian pickles, including cipolline onions and cauliflower, so I put those out instead. Cheers and best wishes for a wonderful Christmas.

16. Frank Fariello December 9, 2014 at 8:56 am #

Your guests were so lucky! A beautiful, elegant dinner. Our dinner (*not* hosted by me) was your standard Thanksgiving fare, cooked rather indifferently… but not for lack of trying.