News & Notes on Preserving Italy

Preserving Italy Book Cover

Ciao amici,

With just over a week until the publication of Preserving Italy (June 14) I thought I’d take the opportunity to officially introduce you to book #7 and to let you know about upcoming events, including dinners, cooking classes, talks and signings. If you’re in the vicinity of an event, please come out and say hi.

About the book: Preserving Italy, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, is a tribute to the many wonderful ways Italians put up food. It began with my quest to reproduce my grandmother’s amarene sotto spirito (sour cherries preserved in alcohol) and kind of took off from there. I purposely chose a broad definition of the word “preserving” so in addition to fruit preserves, there are recipes and techniques for preserving vegetables preserved in oil and in vinegar; a range of condiments; a few fresh cheeses and simple salumi (including homemade garlic and cheese sausages); syrups and liqueurs; and a handful of confections (hooray for the preserving qualities of sugar!).

In addition to recipes there are stories. I got to watch some wonderful Italian food artisans at work. Several are profiled in the book: Paolo Anselmino and Noemi Lora, who produce beautiful savory and sweet preserves at their shop near Alba; Genoa’s pesto “ambassador Roberto Panizza;” Marco Biagetti and Rosita Cariani, owners of a famed salumeria in the tiny Umbrian town of Bevagna; Sabato Abagnale, a producer of organic canned tomatoes outside of Naples; the Palmieri family, makers of superb buffalo mozzarella; and my friend Francesca Di Nisio, a producer of organic olive oil in Abruzzo.

00-004-picklejars-611627

Photo by Lauren Volo for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

The photography: I want to give a shout-out to the photo team of Lauren Volo (photographer); Molly Swift (food stylist); Rich Vassilatos (prop stylist); and Drew Salvatore (assistant). It was the first time I’ve ever attended a photo shoot for one of my books, and I was amazed by what these talented people produced in one corner of a Brooklyn studio apartment.

Stay tuned for more on the book, including a giveaway here on the blog and elsewhere, and sneak-peek recipes.

Events: Here’s a list of what is scheduled so far, with more details about each event on my Events Calendar. I’ll continue to update that page, and my social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Goodreads, and Twitter), with new events, changes, etc. Hope to see you at one of these:

June 15: Preserving Italy book launch dinner at Le Virtu, Philadelphia. Join me, James Beard-nominated Chef Joe Cicala and his talented team for a ticketed dinner based on the book.

June 18: Tasting and book signing at Salt and Sundry, at Union Market, DC. This shop is one of my favorite stops in DC for housewares and accessories.

June 21: Preserving Italy book dinner at La Fromagerie, Old Town Alexandria. Join chef/owner Sebastien Tavel and me for a ticketed dinner based on the book.

June 24 and 25: Stonewall Kitchen, York, ME. Join me for two classes at this state-of-the-art school in picturesque York, featuring recipes from Preserving Italy and my other books.

June 27: Nativity Italian Heritage and Cultural Society, in Burke, VA, is hosting me for an evening talk on Italian preserving and cooking traditions.

June 29: Join me for a discussion on Italian preserving traditions and cooking at the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF), Washington, D.C., hosted by the D.C. chapter of the National Organization of Italian American Women (NOIAW).

July 2: Tasting and book signing at one of my longtime favorite spots, La Cuisine, in Old Town Alexandria. Hey, even if you aren’t a fan of Italian preserves, it’s worth coming to see owner Nancy Purves Pollard’s excellent selection of cookware and specialty tools and ingredients.

July 7: COOK: Join me for a Preserving Italy cooking class at this kitchen-classroom in Philadelphia. Details to come.

July 9: Cooking demo and lunch at Osteria Morini DC, right on the Anacostia waterfront. Chef Matt Adler and I will demo recipes from Preserving Italy (including homemade pasta) and we’ll all enjoy lunch outdoors on the patio, weather permitting. With dessert by the restaurant’s uber-talented pastry chef, Alex Levin. More details soon.

July 12: Italian liqueur workshop at Red Barn Mercantile, Old Town Alexandria. Learn how to make homemade limoncello and other Italian liqueurs in this hands-on class. Plus, you get to take your bottle of booze home with you! 6-8 p.m.

July 14: Southern Season, Chapel Hill, NC. Join me for a cooking class at this state-of-the-art venue, featuring recipes and techniques from Preserving Italy.

July 16: The Cooks Warehouse, Atlanta, GA. I haven’t been to Atlanta in a long while, so I’m especially excited to be coming to teach at this celebrated cooking school. Join me for a class featuring recipes and techniques from Preserving Italy. Details to come.

[SUMMER BREAK]

August 20: Piazza Italian Market, Easton, MD. Summer’s not over yet! I’ll be signing books and teaching a class at Piazza’s brand new cooking school. Details to come.

Sept. 30-Oct. 2: I’m delighted to be participating in the inaugural Harbor Springs Festival of the Book, in postcard-pretty Harbor Springs, MI. Journalist David Maraniss is the keynote speaker, and a luncheon featuring recipes from my books is among the special events. More details to come.

* * * * * * *

There are still a couple of spots left for our Abruzzo Presto/Domenica Cooks culinary tour. Join us for a week-long immersion the food, culture, and landscape of this spectacular region. You can find the details on my tours page and please feel free to forward the link to friends and family with the travel bug.

25 Responses to News & Notes on Preserving Italy

1. dana June 6, 2016 at 11:24 am #

Please come to Oahu! <3

• Domenica Marchetti June 10, 2016 at 10:15 am #

Don’t I wish! My BIL is from there so I hope to get back at one point. 🙂

2. Rosa Jeanne Mayland June 6, 2016 at 1:26 pm #

Sounds great!

Rosa

3. Marisa Franca @ All Our Way June 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm #

I just saw the write-up at Ciao Ciao Linda’s and I’m so excited about getting the book. I used to do a lot of preserving and I had given it up — you’ve inspired me to start again 🙂 I wish I could get an autograph copy — unfortunately we live in the Midwest and occasionally head south. Looking forward to reading every last word — to me cookbooks are my friends.

• Domenica Marchetti June 10, 2016 at 10:17 am #

Thank you ~ One of my favorite recipes in the book is one that Linda contributed for salt-preserved green tomatoes. So delicious. And I agree, cookbooks are friends…for life.

4. Paola June 6, 2016 at 5:14 pm #

You will be one busy lady! Congratulations on the book and enjoy the next few months of events. Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of this one

5. Cristina June 6, 2016 at 6:05 pm #

Hi Domenica! Congratulations on your new book….I’m looking forward to it and love the subject/theme! Please, let me know if your book tour will include San Diego!

• Domenica Marchetti June 10, 2016 at 10:20 am #

I will keep you posted. For the time being travel is limited to the east coast. Hoping to put something together for fall. Thank you!

6. Phyllis@Oracibo June 6, 2016 at 7:55 pm #

Looking forward to seeing the book! Don’t do much preserving anymore, but loved your spicy tomato lemon conserve from Italian Vegetables and can hardly wait for the green tomatoes to make the conserve too!

7. David June 7, 2016 at 9:58 am #

This is a rare moment when I wished we still lived “down the street” form Stonewall Kitchens in York, ME! Sadly, you aren’t coming West on your book tour… However, I can still buy the book and continue my preservation activities! I really look forward to it, and send my heartfelt congratulations on its publication. A presto, David

• Domenica Marchetti June 10, 2016 at 10:22 am #

I wish I were coming out your way, David. There is a chance I may be able to pull something together later in the year. Please let me know if there are any shops/cooking schools or venues you think I should contact. Thank you!

8. Chiara June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm #

congratulazioni per questo nuovo libro Domenica, sarà un successo perchè è scritto con amore e rispetto delle tradizioni italiane !

9. Laura | Tutti Dolci June 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm #

Congratulations, Domenica! The book looks beautiful! 🙂

• Domenica Marchetti June 10, 2016 at 10:28 am #

Thank you Laura. I’m delighted with the way it turned out. Feels both beautiful and user friendly. 🙂

10. Ciao Chow Linda June 13, 2016 at 7:05 pm #

Congratulations on a wonderful book that will go a long way toward preserving traditions that might otherwise be lost. I’m looking forward to seeing you at Le Virtù

11. jamielifesafeast June 14, 2016 at 2:39 pm #

A huge congratulations, Domenica, on doing this passionate, impressive project! I am so happy for you! I cannot wait to see the book and so wish I could come to an event! xo

12. Frank Fariello June 15, 2016 at 7:57 am #

Best of luck with the launch tonight! I just picked it up on iBooks, can’t wait to dive into it.

13. Rebecca Sidoti-Doran July 29, 2016 at 12:45 am #

Hello Domenica, I recently purchased your book after reading about it in “the Modern Farmer” magazine. I absolutely LOVE your book! I really appreciated your sections on fresh cheeses and cured meat. I have always been afraid to venture into those areas but your recipes are very easy to follow. Thank you for helping to preserve our heritage!
    PS. Please come to Southern California!

• Domenica Marchetti August 13, 2016 at 2:41 pm #

Hi Rebecca ~ belated thanks for your comment. I’m so glad you are enjoying the book. I’d love to come to southern California. I’m working on putting together a promotional visit to the west coast, so please stay tuned…Cheers, D

14. Jeanne Baratta September 27, 2016 at 11:29 am #

Domenica – Where do I begin – well first I have to thank Amazon for recommending your book to me. I have been searching for a book just like this and I found it and then some! My mother and grandmother’s preserved ala Italia, but didn’t write anything down, so I was stuck trying to manipulate Americana canning recipes to get the flavors of my youth. Thanks to your awesome book I have everything I need. I have already made the spiced tomato jam and tropea onion jam, pickled a ton of peppers and I have a large batch of olives brining – all wonderful! My husband and I are opening a Bed & Breakfast this fall and your recipes will bring our offerings to the next level – grazie molto!

• Domenica Marchetti September 27, 2016 at 12:03 pm #

Jeanne, now I have to thank you for absolutely making my day with your comment. It has been my hope throughout the researching and writing of this book that it would help people revive their own lost traditions. And I’m honored that my recipes will be a part of your new B&B venture. I wish you all the best in this endeavor. Cheers, D